Analytics services are part of a Google marketing platform, and anyone can use them without paying anything. Google Analytics is used to track a website’s performance and check the activity of the website. It has been found that 65% of websites are using Google Analytics; it is known as one of the most popular tools among digital marketers. Thus, it is truly important to use Google Analytics to keep a check on your website and its working.
Data Provided by Google Analytics
- The overall amount of traffic you are getting on your site.
- Traffic coming from which website, the most.
- Any individual page traffic.
- Quantum of converted leads.
- Some demographic information of visitors.
- Whether your site’s traffic is coming from different desktops or mobiles.
Features of Google Analytics
- Visualization of data and tools monitoring.
- Different dashboards, scoreboards, and monitor charts are included.
- Filtering of data and data manipulation.
- Different data collection and Application Program Interfaces (APIs).
- Sharing is based on e-mail and other communication modes.
- Integration with other products like Google ads, Google data studio, marketing clouds, etc.
Google Analytics setup can be tricky, nothing to worry about! We are here to assist you.
Here are 5 Steps to Set up Google Analytics.
- Step-1: Set up Google Tag Manager
- Step-2: Make Google Analytics Account
- Step-3: Frame-up Analytics tags with Google Tag Manager
- Step-4: Create Goals
- Step-5: Link to Google Search Console.
Step-1: Set up Google Tag Manager
Google Tag Manager is known for the free tag management system from Google. It makes it easier for you to update and add tags to Google Analytics. However, if you have Google Tag Manager, you can simply add new tags to track downloads.
First, you have to make an account on the Google Tag Manager Dashboard.
- Go to Add a New Account.
- Then open Set-up Account.
- Open Set-up Container.
- After completing it, click on Create.
- Review the given terms and conditions and Click on Agree.
- You will then be provided with the container’s installation code snippet.
Once done, you can move toward the second step.
Step-2: Make Google Analytics Account
- Like Google Tag Manager, make a Google Analytics account by signing up on GA Page.
- Enter your account and then the website name and URL.
- Make sure to select the website’s Industry Category.
- Select the time zone.
- After completing, agree to all the terms and conditions to get your tracking ID.
- Once you have your ID, it’s time to move on to the next step.
Step-3: Frame-up Analytics tags with Google Tag Manager
- In this step, you will learn to set up specific tags in Google Analytics.
- Go to Google Tag Manager Dashboard.
- Click on Add New.
- You can customize your tag in two areas: configuration and triggering.
- Click on the Tag button.
- Then choose Universal Analytics.
- Choose the data you want to show in goal templates.
- Move to Google Analytics settings.
- Choose New Variable.
- You will be forwarded to the next window, where you will enter your ID.
- Once it’s done, move to the “Triggering” section.
- As with configuration, click on the Triggering button.
- Choose Trigger and click on all pages.
- Click on Save.
Step-4: Create Goals
- To track the performance of your website, you need to set goals on Google Analytics.
- Start by clicking on the Admin button.
- After clicking, you will get redirected to the other window where you find the “Goals” button.
- You’ll be able to look through different goal templates. They include:
- Destination of your goal
- Pages per session
Remember: There is a large variety of data you can track. It is very easy to lose in all the metrics you can track.
Step-5: Link to Google Search Console
Google Search Console is a very useful tool to help marketers and web designers gain search metrics and data. With the help of it, you can do various things like:
- Search your site’s crawl rate.
- Check when Google analyzes your website.
- Check which internal or external page is linked to your website.
- Helps in looking for keyword queries you rank in search engine results.
To set it up, Click on the Gear icon in the lower left of the dashboard.
- Choose property settings.
- Move down and click on Adjust Search Console.
- You process of adding your website to Google will start from here.
- Click on Add button.
- Then, add a site to the search console.
- Write your website’s name.
- Click on add.
Add HTML code to your site. Once done, click on the save button and you’re done with the Google Analytics setup.
What can be done after Google Analytics is set up?
There are many things you can do after setting up Google Analytics. A few suggestions are as follows:
- Helps to grant access to your team
- Even link your Google Ads
- Set up views
Google Analytics configured rightly is necessary for good analysis. You can see your site’s performance from various points. However, to track performance and working, various Google Analytics tracking codes are used. So, make sure you add the necessary codes as per your business needs.
We hope you will now be able to set up Google Analytics! Just in case, still something is not going in your favor, feel free to shoot your query in the comments section.