Do you need a personal loan but have a low CIBIL score? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Many people face the same problem and wonder if they can still get a personal loan with a low CIBIL score. The answer is yes! There are several options available to you, and in this blog, we’ll cover everything you need to know about getting a personal loan for low cibil score.
What is a CIBIL Score?
Your CIBIL score is a three-digit number that ranges from 300 to 900 and reflects your creditworthiness. This score is calculated based on your credit history, including your credit card usage, loan repayment history, and other financial transactions. The higher your CIBIL score, the better your chances of getting a loan or credit card at a favorable interest rate.
Why is a Low CIBIL Score a Problem?
If you have a low CIBIL score, it means that you have a poor credit history and are considered a high-risk borrower. This can make it difficult for you to get a personal loan or credit card. Even if you do get approved, the interest rate is likely to be high, which means you’ll end up paying more in interest over the course of the loan.
What are the Options for Personal Loans with Low CIBIL Scores?
- Peer-to-Peer Lending Peer-to-peer lending is a new concept in India that allows individuals to borrow money directly from other individuals without involving banks or financial institutions. P2P lending platforms act as intermediaries between borrowers and lenders and charge a fee for their services. The interest rates are usually higher than traditional loans, but the approval process is faster, and the eligibility criteria are more relaxed.
- Secured Loans Secured loans are a type of loan where the borrower pledges collateral such as property, gold, or other assets to the lender. Since the lender has some security, they are more likely to approve the loan even if the borrower has a low CIBIL score. The interest rates are also lower compared to unsecured loans. However, if the borrower fails to repay the loan, the lender can seize the collateral.
- Loan Against Fixed Deposits If you have a fixed deposit with a bank or financial institution, you can take a loan against it. The loan amount is usually up to 90% of the fixed deposit amount, and the interest rate is lower than other personal loans. Since the lender has the fixed deposit as security, they are more likely to approve the loan even if the borrower has a low CIBIL score.
- Joint Loans If you have a low CIBIL score, you can consider taking a joint loan with a co-applicant who has a good credit score. A joint loan is a type of loan where two or more individuals apply for a loan together and are jointly responsible for repaying the loan. Since the co-applicant has a good credit score, the lender is more likely to approve the loan and offer a lower interest rate.
- Alternative Data Scoring Alternative data scoring is a new concept in India that uses non-traditional data sources such as utility bill payments, rent payments, and mobile phone bill payments to assess a borrower’s creditworthiness. This allows lenders to offer loans to individuals who have a low CIBIL score but have a good track record of paying their bills on time.
Tips to Improve Your Chances of Getting a Personal Loan with a Low CIBIL Score
- Check Your CIBIL Score Before applying for a small personal loans, check your CIBIL score and credit report to see where you stand. You can get a free credit report once a year from the credit bureaus.
- Provide Additional Documents If you have a low CIBIL score, providing additional documents such as income tax returns, bank statements, and employment certificates can help improve your chances of getting a personal loan. These documents can demonstrate your financial stability and ability to repay the loan.
- Limit Your Loan Amount If you have a low CIBIL score, it’s important to limit the loan amount you apply for. Lenders are more likely to approve smaller loan amounts compared to larger ones. Moreover, smaller loan amounts can help you improve your credit score over time by making timely repayments.
- Improve Your Credit Score Improving your credit score is the best way to increase your chances of getting a personal loan with favorable terms and interest rates. You can improve your credit score by paying your bills and loan EMIs on time, reducing your credit utilization ratio, and avoiding multiple loan applications in a short period.
Having a low CIBIL score can be a major obstacle when applying for a personal loan. However, there are several options available to you, including peer-to-peer lending, secured loans, loan against fixed deposits, joint loans, and alternative data scoring. Moreover, by providing additional documents, limiting your loan amount, and improving your credit score, you can increase your chances of getting a personal loan with a low CIBIL score. Remember to compare loan offers from different lenders and read the fine print carefully before signing the loan agreement.