The prevalent hustle culture in Dubai has normalized overwork. Everyone wants to stay at the top for recognition and financial gains. However, people’s pleasing and irrational urge to get acknowledgment affects their performance and mental health. Burnout refers to chronic work stress that leads to exhaustion and cynicism.
The signs of burnout syndrome are:
- The individual suffers from energy depletion and cannot mentally focus on the task due to stress and high expectations.
- The person has a negative mindset towards achieving the goals, which hinders the overall work performance.
- Due to a Lack of focus and energy, the person has low productivity. The individual gets threatened by the competitor, which worsens the condition.
The individual exhibiting signs of burnout syndrome must understand the cause and make rational decisions to increase productivity and reduce stress. The causes of workplace burnout are:
- Self-Doubt: The responsibilities can overwhelm the individual. Unclarity regarding the roles and deadlines affects mental health and productivity. The person remains anxious and stressed due to job expectations, which leads to burnout.
- Biasness in the Workplace: The unjust behavior of the management cause demotivation. The person tries to overwork for appreciation and reinforcement. However, if the unfair treatment persists, it leads to burnout and low self-esteem.
- Lack of Support: To thrive in personal and professional life, one needs support from management, colleagues, and family. However, the person with no emotional support may suffer from burnout and related complications.
- Feeling out of control: Some people want to remain in control of their work schedule. However, the change can affect their thought process and causes fear of losing control, which leads to burnout.
The steps that help manage workplace burnout are:
- Raise Your Voice: Burnout syndrome can cause the individual to feel isolated. The individual may not find solutions to work-related problems without discussing them with the relevant authorities. Hence, they must take the matter to their management and raise their concerns against the unjust behavior reasonably.
- Prioritize Self-Care: Burnout leads to low productivity, unhappiness, hopelessness, aggression, and frustration. It affects personal relationships and physical health. People must prioritize their well-being over work. To reduce stress, the person must prioritize their diet, physical health, and relationship with loved ones. It allows the individual to divert attention and focus on the positive aspects. Positivity correlates with productivity and contentment.
- Start Setting Boundaries: People should never let others exploit them by asking for favors at the workplace. To prevent burnout, it is a must to set boundaries. People should learn to say no to work that consumes personal time.
- Stop bringing Office Wort to Home: The struggles between balancing personal and professional life causes workplace burnout. Hence, people must avoid accepting additional responsibilities which affect their relationships and mental health. Also, individuals should not discuss their work problems at dinner with family members, as it induces stress and anxiety.
- Acknowledge and Reinforce Small Victories Burnout affects self-esteem, confidence, self-worth, and performance. However, acknowledging the accomplishments, using affirmative words, and reinforcements allow the individual to have conviction in one’s ability to perform productively at the workplace.