How much time does it take to straighten the teeth? What are the procedures available to straighten the teeth? Is there any fastest way to get the teeth straightened? These are few common questions that dentists and orthodontists all over the UK have to keep answering to myriads of times a day. The craze to straighten the teeth is at an all-time high. Considering this ongoing craze, it is important mentioning whether you are looking forward to aligning your crooked teeth, closing the gaps in between the teeth or want to achieve that perfect smile, orthodontic treatments take time. You must be patient while undergoing these treatments as there is no quick fix.
In the following sections of this blog post, let us explore few tried and tested teeth straightening options. These options are not only safe but also assure expected results on time.
- Conventional metal braces – when you undergo teeth straightening treatment using conventional metal braces, there is hardly anything that can go wrong. Metal braces have been in use for orthodontic teeth straightening for ages together. The procedure proves to be cost-effective and makes use of a metal wire and a set of brackets. The brackets are applied to your teeth surface whereas the wire connects to each of the brackets. Usually, elastic bands are also used for extra assistance to close gaps between the teeth. Unlike the modern braces that mostly remain invisible inside your mouth, conventional braces remain fixed to your teeth and are not removable.
- Invisalign – this is one of the most popular and trusted procedure to improve the alignment of the teeth. Unlike conventional braces discussed above, this is a discreet tooth straightening procedure. There are no braces used in this particular approach. Rather a series of clear aligner trays made of transparent plastic is used to move the teeth into the right alignment. You have to change a given set of aligner trays frequently, say in every two weeks or so as recommended by your dentist. It is important that you wear the trays for at least 22 hours a day to ensure desired and timely results. You can be rest about that at the end of your treatment Invisalign will gift you with a smile that you will not be able to resist showing off. Last but nevertheless the least, invisalign often delivers quicker results compared to traditional fixed braces.
- Damon braces – these are yet another reliable alternative to conventional metal braces. Damon braces are quite unique in themselves. This range of orthodontic appliances has self-ligating mechanism. This self-ligating mechanism makes the connection between archwires and brackets. As an overall effect of the entire mechanism, the teeth gradually move with comfort. If the current trend is to be believed, popularity of Damon braces is steadily on the rise. This is a much faster treatment option to achieve your dream smile. Moreover, you need making much fewer trips to your dentist’s or orthodontist’s office during the entire phase of treatment with Damon braces.
- Lingual and incognito braces – also popularly referred to as hidden braces, lingual braces are much identical to the standard traditional braces. Just as a minute difference lingual braces are placed at the back of the teeth whereas the traditional braces are worn at the front. It is a discreet but effective treatment procedure that uses no metal wires and brackets either.
- Incognito braces – Incognito braces are a special type of lingual braces and are highly effective to straighten your misaligned teeth. Incognito braces use advanced technology and thus delivers expected results faster. The appliances are carefully customised to fit perfectly to the shape and size of each of your tooth.
How the teeth move
Orthodontic treatments facilitate movement of the teeth. But how is that achieved? Teeth movement in orthodontic dentistry is based on a complete scientific procedure. As braces are fitted to your teeth, the braces exert light but consistent pressure on the tissues that support the teeth. This is how the teeth gradually move into the right alignment. In many cases orthodontists are required to create space in the mouth for the teeth to move. Teeth movement is never an overnight procedure. Rather measures are taken so that your teeth move slowly and gently a little at a time so that the procedure lasts for some time. Moving the teeth fast into their correct alignment or position is never the aim of modern orthodontic dentistry. Because teeth that move fast into the correct alignment are also more likely to sink back into their original position causing a relapse.
It is important to remember that the exact process of teeth movement varies from case to case. It depends on the level of misalignment and the condition of the teeth in each patient.
The time length of treatment
The time required to straighten the teeth varies from case to case. It depends on certain factors like the level of misalignment in a patient’s teeth. The greater levels of misalignment in the teeth, the longer the treatment lasts. Usually most orthodontic teeth straightening procedures last up to two years. But that can easily stretch to three years and beyond if the misalignment is severe.
Cases with mild severity or malocclusion
When you have mild severity in the teeth, you are also likely to have minor misalignment issues with the teeth and vice versa. This type of cases is often referred to as malocclusion in dental terminology. One may have small issues of overbite that can be easily corrected, like varying sizes of the upper and the lower jaw. Orthodontists usually rely on rubber bands to sort out these problems. Rubber bands are placed on to the braces. Even Invisalign proves effective in sorting out cases.
One of the best clinic for invisalign treatment in London is certainly the Chatfield Dental Braces. According to dentists associated with the practice correcting severe cases of teeth misalignment is never easy. The irregular positioning of the teeth may badly affect the structure of your jaws as well as the face. Patients with severe misalignment issues are often detected with open bite, cross bite, overcrowded teeth, under bite, protrusion and even spacing issues. In such cases it is better to start the treatment with conventional braces and then gradually shift to Invisalign at a more opportune moment.