American travelers can obtain an electronic visa for tourism, business, or medical treatment purposes.
Many US citizens choose the country as a holiday destination and look for the best time of the year to visit India. To experience everything this nation has to offer, Americans must meet the online visa requirements outlined below.
Travel to India from the US
Tourism in India plays an important role in the economy. According to the World Travel and Tourism, in 2017, tourism supported 41.622 million jobs, 8 percent of its total employment. The industry is expected to grow at an annual rate of 6.9 percent by 2028. Back in 2015, it was also estimated that India’s medical tourism sector was worth about 3 billion USD and it is projected that this number will continue to rise between 7 to 8 billion USD by 2020.
The India e-Visa makes it easier for US travelers to obtain a visa to travel to the country. American travelers need to meet a few requirements to apply online for their Indian visa. All applicants need the following item:
- Passport with at least six months’ validity from the expected date of arrival
- Debit or credit card
- Email address
US travelers can visit India for tourism, business or medical purposes.
An Indian e-Visa for U.S. citizens will grant them a stay of up to 60 days from the first date of entry into the country. It is possible to get an Indian e-Visa up to 2 times per year. The e-Visa for India cannot be extended.
Foreign visitors are advised to apply for the Indian Visa for United States Citizens at least 4 days before the arrival date. Applications are processed by the Government of India.
Documents and other Requirements for Indian e-Visa for Americans
US travelers who wish to apply for their electronic visa to India must have a valid passport, a debit or credit card, and an email address. To successfully obtain the eVisa for India, US citizens need to provide several details on the application form:
- Full name (as it appears on the passport)
- Date and place of birth
- Address and contact info
- Passport details
American nationals also need to fill out the following:
- Marital status
- Profession or occupation
- Details of the stay: places to be visited while in India
- Expected port of entry and port of exit
- Countries visited in the last ten years
- Educational qualifications
All India e-Visa applicants must answer a series of security questions.
Passport and photo requirements for American travelers
US nationals must submit documents that meet the eVisa India requirements. Travelers from the United States are required to submit a scanned color copy of the first page or the biographical page of their valid passport.
Each applicant must also submit a recent passport-style color photo that meets the following requirements:
- The applicant’s face must be clearly visible
- The photograph must have a white background
- The photograph must be in focus
- The applicant’s head must be centered
- The photograph must show the applicant’s head from the crown to the tip of the chin
US Embassy Registration for Visiting India
American citizens visiting India are advised to register with the US embassy before traveling. This service is called the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Visitors registered with STEP receive a number of travel safety benefits. The US embassy to India will contact travelers to do the following:
- Provide updates and advice about security information in India
- Send information about international events that may affect travel between the US and India
- Advise and assist the traveler in the event of an emergency
- Help friends and family in the US contact the individual if there is an emergency situation back home
American diplomatic missions in India will provide assistance to US nationals traveling in the country. The US embassy is located in New Delhi. There are also American Consulate Generals in several major Indian cities, including the following:
Americans can register with the US embassy in India while applying for an eVisa through this website. Select the “Embassy Registration” option to enroll with the STEP.