Canada is one of the most popular study destinations for international students. It’s a great country with a lot to offer, which makes it an ideal location for college students. However, in order to study in Canada, you will need a valid student visa. Even if you have a work permit or are visiting as a tourist, there are some hoops you’ll have to jump through before setting off on your Canadian adventure.
Many immigrants begin the process of applying for immigration to Canada on their own with the best of intentions. The conditions of the operation process are stringent, and you may have been in for months without knowing why your operation is being held up. At some point, even the most eminent scholars experience a loss of clarity. They eventually seek professional assistance.
A student visa for Canada is the process of getting your student visa, which allows you to study in Canada. In other words, you have to complete a few steps before you finally obtain your student visa.
Apply to and receive an acceptance letter from a Canadian university
The first step in the Canadian study abroad process is to apply to a Canadian university. This will give you your acceptance letter and tell you about programs, deadlines, and scholarships that are available for international students.
Determine whether you need to apply for a student visa in Canada.
If you are planning to study in Canada, it is important that you check if you need a student visa. A student visa is important because, under this visa, a foreign student can stay in Canada for up to six months without any problems. There are many other types of visas available in Canada; however, most students apply for a student visa before moving to the country.
Begin the application process for a Canadian student visa.
To keep your application for the Canadian student visa stack up with the others, you will need to provide proof of funds Canada. This is where many people get confused and scared because they think it’s going to cost them a lot of money or there will have to be some kind of application form that they have to fill out. But there’s actually nothing as scary as that at all! The Canadian student visa requires you to have funds in your account only three months prior to submitting your application. To compare, if you were applying for a US visa then they would require you to prove that you have $5,000 in your account from the date of submission.
The following are the first steps in achieving a student visa:
- Apply for your Canadian student visa online at Citizenship and Immigration Canada before you arrive (CIC).
- If you have a limited internet connection or are unable to submit the documents online, send the visa application documents by mail.
- Provide a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution (a university recognized by the Canadian government).
- Provide evidence of adequate financial resources to support your studies in Canada (tuition fees and living expenses).
- Display proof that you have no criminal history.
- Submit clinical records demonstrating your good health; if necessary, submit full medical examinations.
Prepare all of the necessary documents for a visitor visa Canada A completed student permit application form
- The university’s original acceptance letter
- A current passport or travel document that allows you to return to your home country. If you live in the United States, you do not need to do this.
- Two recent passport-size photographs, with name and date of birth details on the back
- Evidence of financial support during your studies. This entails demonstrating that you have between 10,000 and 11,000 CAD per year to live in the country.
- An intent letter
- If you want to study in Quebec, you’ll also need a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec, English and French translations of your documents, a translator’s statement, and a certified copy of your diploma.
Language requirements for Canadian students
The list of documents required for a Canadian student visa does not include proof of English language proficiency. However, unless you are a native English speaker, Canadian universities will require you to submit proof of English language proficiency.
How long does it take to get a study permit in Canada?
The processing time for your Canadian study permit may take up to 90 days after you apply, but it is usually much faster. This is also dependent on the situation in your home country.
If you use the Student Direct Stream, you will receive your study permit faster. Fees begin at $150 CAD, and the processing time is typically 20 calendar days. The Student Direct Stream is only available to students from the following countries:
- The Philippines